Follow Us:

Advertisement

Uttarakhand Govt Focuses on Modern Education for Muslim Students: Waqf Board Chairman

Clarifying the state government’s stance, he asserted that the initiative is not intended to target any specific religion.

TIS Desk | Dehradun |

Advertisement

Uttarakhand Waqf Board Chairman Shadab Shams on Wednesday emphasized the importance of modernizing madrasas, stating that the state government aims to provide better education for Muslim children to ensure their bright future.

Shams lauded the government’s efforts, highlighting that the introduction of the NCERT syllabus in madrasas would not restrict students to religious studies alone but also equip them with broader educational opportunities for a successful future.

Clarifying the state government’s stance, he asserted that the initiative is not intended to target any specific religion.

“We are promoting the concept of modern madrasas, aligning with the vision of the Dhami government. The state wants madrasas to follow the NCERT syllabus to secure a brighter future for Muslim children. The goal is to go beyond religious texts and enable students to contribute to the nation’s growth. This is not about targeting any religion. There should be a well-defined standard for madrasas,” Shams told ANI.

The Uttarakhand Waqf Board Chairman also stressed the need for clear guidelines on the establishment of madrasas.

Responding to Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind’s petition in the Supreme Court against the sealing of madrasas, Shams said, “This is a democracy, and they have the right to file a petition. However, they should also clarify the criteria for opening a madrasa. There should be specific regulations for their establishment.”

Earlier, on March 21, the Haridwar administration, following orders from Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami, took action against unregistered madrasas operating without recognition from the Madrasa Board or the Education Department.

Subdivisional Magistrate Ajayveer Singh confirmed that two madrasas in the Gandhi Khata area had been sealed. “Two madrasas in the Gandi Khata of Shyampur police station area have been sealed. The Chief Minister has ordered action against illegal madrasas and unauthorized constructions,” he stated.

On March 16, a statement from the Chief Minister’s office revealed that 43 allegedly illegal madrasas had been sealed in Dehradun.

“Chief Minister Dhami has made it clear that any attempt to alter the culture, tradition, and geography of Uttarakhand will not be tolerated. The administration has been given a free hand to take strict action against any illegal activities under the guise of religion,” the statement read.

As part of a large-scale crackdown, the Dehradun administration sealed 31 illegal madrasas in Vikasnagar, 9 in Sadar, and 3 in Doiwala.

The government also cited intelligence reports indicating an abnormal rise in the Muslim population in the Pachhadun region, raising concerns over potential demographic changes.

Officials took “decisive steps” by demolishing alleged illegal encroachments and sending a strong message that “no illegal activity will be allowed to thrive in Uttarakhand.”

“This strict action by the Dhami government is seen as a necessary measure to safeguard Uttarakhand’s cultural and geographical identity,” the statement concluded.

According to the government, a “network” of illegal madrasas had been established in Pachhadun and other areas, allegedly contributing to a population imbalance.

Advertisement

Advertisement